- 1987, B.A. Nizam College, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- 1989, M.A. in Sociology, University of Hyderabad.
- 1990, M.Phil in Sociology, University of Hyderabad.
- 1995, Ph.D in Sociology University of Hyderabad.
Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, from April 2007.
Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, March 2003 to March 2007.
Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, September 1999 to February 2003.
Lecturer, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, August 1997 to August 1999.
Senior Research Associate, Socioeconomics and Policy Division, International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, April 1995 to August 1997.
Research Officer, Planning Commission, Government of India Project on Child Labour in Slate Industry, University of Hyderabad, June 1991 to March 1992.
Research Associate, ICSSR (Indian Council of Social Science Research) Journal of Abstract and Reviews: Sociology and Social Anthropology, September 1990 to June 1991.
Urban Studies, Development Studies, Rural / Agrarian Sociology, Law and Governance, Legal Pluralism, Vulnerability and Adaptation to Climate Change, Gender and Development, Disaster Studies
- Courses taught at undergraduate and postgraduate level at IIT Bombay.
Contemporary Urban India.
Perspectives in Social Sciences (Introductory Module on Sociology).
Introduction to Sociology.
Development, Planning and Policies in India: Issues and Alternatives.
Science and Technology in India's Development.
Socio-psychological approaches to Development and Change.
Law, Rights, Governance and Development.
Computer aided applied statistics.
Advanced theory of society.
Sociology of Social Stratification in India.
Making Choices: Ethical Issues in Scientific Endeavour.
1. Books and Monographs
- Tim Bunnell, D.Parthasarathy, and Eric Thompson, Cleavage, Connection and Conflict: Rural, Urban and Contemporary, ARI-Springer Asia Series, Springer, 2013
- D.Parthasarathy, T.F.Thekkekara and Veena Poonacha , Women’s Self Help Groups: Restructuring Socio-Economic Development, Dominant Publishers, Delhi, 2011
- Amit Garg, Ashish Rana, P.R. Shukla, Manmohan Kapshe, D.Parthasarathy, K.Narayanan, and Unmesh Patnaik, “Handbook of Current and Next Generation Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment Tools”, Monograph, IDS Sussex BASIC Project, 2007
- Padmaja R, Bantilan MCS, D. Parthasarathy, and Gandhi BVJ, “Gender and social capital mediated technology adoption” Impact Series No. 12. ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, India, 2006
- M.C.S.Bantilan and D. Parthasarathy, "Efficiency and Sustainability Gains from Adoption of Short Duration Pigeonpea in Non-legume based Cropping Systems", Impact Series No.6, ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, India, 1999.
- D. Parthasarathy, Collective Violence in a Provincial City, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 1997.
· D.Parthasarathy, “Decentralization, Pluralization, Balkanization? Challenges for Disaster Mitigation and Governance in Mumbai”, In Press in Habitat International; doi:10.1016/j.habitatint.2015.08.022
· Sherly M. A., Subhankar Karmakar, D. Parthasarathy, Terence Chan, Christian Rau, “Disaster-Vulnerability Mapping for a Densely Populated Coastal Urban Area - An Application to Mumbai, India”, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 105, 6, 2015: 1198-1220
· D. Parthasarathy, “Informality, Resilience, and the Political Implications of Disaster Governance”, Special on ‘Governing Floods in Asia’s Urban Transition’, Pacific Affairs, 88, 3, 2015: 551-575
· Sheila Bonde, Clyde Briant, Paul Firenze, Julianne Hanavan, Amy Huang, Min Li, N. C. Narayanan, D. Parthasarathy, Hongqin Zhao, “Making Choices: Ethical Decisions in a Global Context”, Science and Engineering Ethics, Online First, 12 May 2015, DOI 10.1007/s11948-015-9641-5.
· D. Parthasarathy,“The Poverty of (Marxist) Theory: Peasant Classes, Provincial Capital, and the Critique of Globalization in India”, Journal of Social History, 48, 4, 2015
· Baghel, Deepmala, D. Parthasarathy, and M. Gupta. "Will you walk into my parlor? Spaces and practices of beauty in Mumbai," South Asian Popular Culture 12.3 (2014): 163-179
· "Rural, Urban, and Regional: Re-spatializing Capital and Politics in India", in Tim Bunnell, D.Parthasarathy, and Eric Thompson,Cleavage, Connection and Conflict: Rural, Urban and Contemporary, ARI-Springer Asia Series, Springer, 2013, 15-30
· Eric C Thompson, Tim Bunnell, and D. Parthasarathy, "Place, Society and Politics across Urban and Rural Asia" in Tim Bunnell, D.Parthasarathy, and Eric Thompson, Cleavage, Connection and Conflict: Rural, Urban and Contemporary, ARI-Springer Asia Series, Springer, 2013, 1-14
· "Risk, vulnerability and resilience: climate change and the urban poor in Asia", in "Human Security and Climate Change in Southeast Asia", eds., Lorraine Elliott, Mely Caballero-Anthony. Routledge Security in Asia Pacific Series, 2012
· "After Reservations: Caste, Institutional Isomorphism, and Affirmative Action in the IITs", in "Equalizing Access: Affirmative Action in Higher Education: India, US, and South Africa", eds., Zoya Hasan and Martha C. Nussbaum, Oxford University Press, Delhi, 2011
· "Hunters, Gatherers, and Foragers in a Metropolis: Commonizing the Private and Public in Mumbai", Economic and Political Weekly, 46, 50, December 2011
· "Migrant, Diaspora, NRI: Bhojpuri Cinema and the Global in the Local", in Anjali Gera Roy and Chua Beng Huat eds., Travels of Bollywood Cinema: From Bombay to LA, Oxford University Press, Delhi, 2011
· "A Village Without Moneylenders: SHGs Economic Change, and the Restructuring of Social Relations", in D.Parthasarathy, T.F.Thekkekara and Veena Poonacha eds., "Women's Self Help Groups: Restructuring Socio-Economic Development", Dominant Publishers, India, 2011
· "Planning and the Fate of Democracy: State, Capital, and Governance in Post-Independence India", in Vincent Kelly Pollard ed., "Wrestling with the Leviathan: State Capitalism, Contentious Politics and Large-Scale Social Change", Brill, Leiden, 2011
· Christoph Eberhard, D. Parthasarathy, and Shujie Feng), "Globalisation en Chine et en Inde", in Arnaud Andre-Jean ed. Dictionnaire de la Globalisation, Droit - Science politique, Paris, LGDJ, 538 p (246-251), 2010
· Binti Singh and D.Parthasarathy, "Civil Society Organisation Partnerships in Urban Governance: An Appraisal of the Mumbai Experience", Sociological Bulletin", Vo.59, No.1, Jan-April 2010
· Upasna Sharma, Anand Patwardhan, and D.Parthasarathy, "Assessing adaptive capacity to tropical cyclones in the East coast of India: A pilot study of public response to cyclone warning information", Climatic Change, 94, 2009, p.189-209
· Neetu Chowdhary and D. Parthasarathy, "Is Migration Status a Determinant of Urban Nutrition Insecurity? Empirical Evidence from Mumbai City in India",Journal of Biosocial Science, 41, 2009
· "Social and Environmental Insecurities in Mumbai: Towards a sociological perspective on vulnerability",South African Review of Sociology, 40, 1, 2009
· The Antinomies of Modernity and Sustainability? Developing an Indian Perspective on Governance and Responsibility, in Christoph Eberhard (dir.), Traduire nos responsabilites planetaires: Recomposer nos paysages juridiques, Bruxelles, Bruylant, Col. Bibliotheque de l'Academie, Europeenne de Theorie du Droit, 2009
· R. Shubha, Tanmay Bhattacharya, D. Parthasarathy, and Meenakshi Gupta, "Spirit possession in a healing centre: View from within",Psychological Studies, 53 (3 & 4), 2008, 219-225
· Neetu Chowdhary and D. Parthasarathy, "Gender, Work, and Household Food Security", Economic and Political Weekly, 42, 5, 2007
· "Land laws, minerals, and development: A case for legislative innovations", in Christoph Eberhard (ed.), "Law, Land use and the Environment: Afro-Indian Dialogues", IFP, Pondichery, 2007.
· Binti Kanta and D. Parthasarathy, "Slums, Rehabilitation and Government Policy: The case of the Slum Rehabilitation Programme in Mumbai",The ICFAI Journal of Urban Policy, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 35-50, April 2006.
· Taking Participation Seriously : A Critique of 'Good Governance', in Christoph Eberhard (Guest Edited), Droit, gouvernance et developpement durable,Cahier d'anthropologie du Droit, Paris, 2005.
· Rowena Robinson and D. Parthasarathy, "After Gujarat: Making Sense of Reports on the Post-Godhra Violence and its Aftermath", in Ram Puniyani ed.Religion, Power and Violence: Expression of Politics in Contemporary Times, Sage Publications, New Delhi, 2005.
· "Shifting Fields of Legitimacy: Globalization and Resistance in a Historical Perspective", Special Issue on Legal Pluralism in India, of theIndian Socio-legal Journal on Legal Pluralism, 31, (special), 2005.
- Co-investigator, “Climate Change, Uncertainty, and Transformation”, sponsored by Norwegian Research Council, in collaboration with IDS, Sussex, and Norwegian University of Life Sciences (2015-17)
- Co-investigator, Fostering Block Level Development through Technology Transfer and Diffusion, Rajiv Gandhi Science and Technology Commission, Government of Maharashtra (2015-16)
- Co-investigator, “DHARAVI NUTRITION PROJECT”, Tata Centre for Technology and Design, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (2014-15)
- Co-investigator, Integrated Impact Assessment Study of Mithi River and Vakola Nalla, Mithi River Development and Protection Authority, Government of Maharashtra, July 2013-March 2014
Co-investigator, Project on 'Solid Waste Management in Mumbai: An Alternative Paradigm', sponsored by CLEAN-Sweep Forum, Mumbai, 2011-12
"Ethical Awareness in International Collaborations: A Contextual Approach" (Curriculum development, teaching and research project), in association with Brown University and Zhejiang University, funded by National Science Foundation, USA (2009-12)
"Empowerment of Women in Maharashtra through Micro Finance Programmes", Maharashtra Women's Development Corporation, Government of Maharashtra (2006-08)
Co-investigator for "Baseline Socio-economic Survey for Mithi River Environmental Improvement Project", Mumbai Metropolitan Regional Development Authority (2005-06)
Co-investigator on BASIC Project (Building & Strengthening Institutional Capacity on Climate Change), project funded by European Union and coordinated by Institute of Development Studies, Sussex. (2005-06)
Co-investigator in Department of Science and Technology, Government of India sponsored project on "Integrated Technology Utilization Project for Rahata Block, Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra. (Phase 1: 2005-06, Phase 2: 2009-11)
"Exploratory Study on Artisanal and Small Scale Mining in Maharashtra", sponsored by Resource Management in Asia-Pacific Program, Australian National University, Canberra. (2005)
Co-investigator in NATCOM Project (National Communication to UNFCCC) project on "Climate Change Impacts in Coastal Zones". Project funded by UNDP through Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India (Phase 1: 2002-03 and Phase 2: 2008-10).
"Gender dimensions in technology adoption, and build up of social capital", International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics. (2003-04)
Co-investigator in Project on "Needs Assessment and Socio-economic feasibility of rural technologies" for Khadi and Village Industries Commission, Government Of India, (With Centre for Technology Alternatives for Rural Areas, IIT Bombay, 2003)
Consultant, "Development Pathways and Rural Livelihoods in the Asian Semi-Arid Tropics" in collaboration with the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics (2001-02).
Consultant, "Technological Innovation in Agriculture and its Impact on Poverty in India and Chad", project sponsored by International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics and CGIAR (Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research), Washington, 1999-2000.
Awards and Recognition
ICCR Visiting Chair Professor in India Studies, South Asian Studies Program, National University of Singapore (August-December 2013).
Visiting Research Fellow, Zentrum Moderner Orient, Berlin (April-May 2013).
Visiting Senior Research Fellow, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore (July 15 2008 to July 14 2009).
Visiting Scientist / Consultant at the International Crops Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics, 1997 - 2001.
Visiting Fellow at Resource Management in Asia Pacific Program, Australian National University, Canberra, May-July 2003.
Panos Media Fellowship on "ICTs-Enabled Communication Strategies for Social Change", by Panos Institute, London, 2003.
Research Medal (Citation and a cash award) for a co-authored paper titled "Building Social Capital: Collective Action, Adoption of Agricultural Innovations, and Poverty Reduction in the Indian Semi-Arid Tropics", at the 2nd Global Development Network Conference, Tokyo, 11-13, December 2000.
University Grants Commission Junior and Senior Research Fellowship, 1992-95.
University Merit Scholarship - August 1989 to July 1990, University of Hyderabad.
University Gold Medal, Master of Arts Programme (Sociology), University Of Hyderabad, 1989.
Board, Commission on Legal Pluralism, International Union of Ethnological and Anthropological Sciences (from August 2013)
Convenor, Research Committee 03 on "Economy, Polity, and Society, Indian Sociological Society, (2006-09)
Advisory Board, International Beliefs and Values Institute, James Madison University, USA (2006-07)
Board of Trustees, Samarth Charitable Educational Trust, Guwahati, India (2006-10)
Board of Studies, Social Work Department, Amrita University (2008-10)
Task Force on Microfinance in Maharashtra, Government of Maharashtra (2008-09)
Associate Editor, ARI-Springer Asia Series (Cities)
International Advisory Board, Aceh International Journal of Social Sciences
Advisor, Editorial Board, Development Review (2011-)
Member, Scientific Committee, FICCI-UNEP Indian Life Cycle Assessment and Management Conference (2012)
Expert Reviewer for IPCC Reports, Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
Expert Reviewer for Austrian Climate Research Program (ACRP)