1. What is sociology, some sociological concepts: social structure, status, role, norms, values etc. Socialization, and culture and change.
2. Social stratification - various approaches and concept of social mobility.
3. Population and society - Trends of demographic change in India and the world, Human Ecology, Trends of Urbanization in the developing countries and the world.
4. Major social institutions - Family and marriage, caste and tribe and organizations: (i) formal organization (bureaucracy) (ii) informal organization.
5. Processes of social change - Modernization (including Sanskritization), industrialization, environmental/ecological changes and development.
6. Social movements - protest movements, reformist movement and radical movements in India.
L. Broom, P. Selznick and D. Dorrock, Sociology, 11th Edn. 1990 (Harper International).
M. Haralambos Sociology: Themes and Perspectives, Oxford University Press, 1980.
M.S.A. Rao (ed) Social movements in India, vols. 1-2, 1984, Manohar.
David Mandelbaum, Society in India, 1990, Popular.
M.N. Srinivas, Social change in modern India, 1991, Orient Longman.
Guy Rocher, A. General Introduction to Sociology, MacMillan, 1982.