Development between 1958-69
The Institute started operating in 1958 from VJTI, found temporary accommodation at SASMIRA and moved into its pr esent location at Powai with five engineering, two science department and a Department of languages. In the 1964 - 65 Prospectus the Department of Languages was renamed the Department of Humanities with5 faculty members offering Languages (Russian and English), Economics, Costing, Philosophy (Logic, Ethics), Sociology, Industrial Organization /Psychology / Management. From a mere service department offering a few courses for the B.Tech Students the department transformed itself into a self-reliant department with strong post graduate and research programme.
Development between 1970-92
The faculty strength went up from 5 to 22 and was called the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences. A two-tier course structure with 11% credits was to be earned from H&SS courses. In the 5 year integrated programme 5 core & 4 elective courses was included. In 1973 the first Ph.D. degree from the department was awarded. In 1975, a 4-member committee was constituted by BOG called The Committee on the Role and Output of Humanities and Social Sciences in IIT Bombay. They suggested the objectives of the Department, the role of the Dept. in the UG B.TechProgramme and emphasized on advanced research and PG programme.
From 1993 onwards
The identification of certain specific research areas to provide the department cohesion was followed with the Introduction of M.Phil Programme in July 1993. Based on the IIT Bombay Future Vision 2010, Growth Plan of HSS documents (1996 1998) a review and restructuring of the UG Programme was implemented. Foreign student affiliations started through study abroad programme. Apart from Augmentation of individual research as well as sponsored activities emphasis is on establishing collaborations with outside world through industries, business houses & NGOs.