· PhD in Philosophy, University of Hyderabad, 2001.
· M.Phil in Philosophy, University of Hyderabad, 1995.
· M.A. in Philosophy, University of Hyderabad, 1994.
Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Bombay, since 1st Sept, 2014
Assistant Professor (Contract)
Philosophy of Mind and Language, Philosophy of Education and Environmental Ethics
HS 202: Introduction to Philosophy
HS 465: Moral and Political Philosophy
ES 403: Environmental Ethics
HS 808: Philosophy of Language
HS 420: Philosophy of Mind
HS 625: Philosophy of Education
Philosophy of Justice (co-edited) (Delhi: Bharatiya Vidya Prakashan, 2003)
Mind, Language and Intentionality, (Delhi: Bharatiya Kala Prakashan, 2008). ISBN: 978-81-8090-213-0
Language, Mind and Reality: Philosophical Thoughts of R. C. Pradhan, (ed) Overseas Press, ltd. New Delhi, 2015/ BrownWalker, USA,ISBN: 10: 1627345671/ 13: 9781627345675
Recent Articles Published in Peer-Reveiewed Journals:
1. "The Notion of Intentionality in the Philosophy of Yoga”, Revenshaw Journal of Philosophy, Vol. 1, No.1, 2015, pp.5-14
2. “Gandhian Conception of Truth in the Perspective of Moral Psychology”, (with Manik Konch co-authored) Gandhi Marg Quarterly, Vol.37, Nos.3&4, 2015, pp.487-504
3. “Placing U. T. Place's Scientific Hypothesis: 60 Years On", (with Rajib Rayco-authored) Jadavpur Journal of Philosophy, Vol. 25, No. 1, 2015
4. "Virtue of a Learner,” Anekanta: A Journal of Polysemic Thought, No. 2, 20014, pp.69-771
5. “In the Language of the Other: Education for Tribal Children from Philosophy of Engagement,” Lokaratna, Vol.VII, 2014, pp. 49-61
6. "Performative as the Language of Pragmatism: A reading of the Indian Spirituality,” Special Volume on Spiritual Pragmatism and Spiritual Pragmatics: New Horizon of Theory and Practice and Contemporary Challenges of Transformations, ed. Ananta Giri, 3D Journal of Indus Business Academy, Vol.5 No.2, January- June, 2014, pp.115-124
7."Learning from Stories: A Philosophical Perspective", Lokaratna, Vol - V & VI, 2013, pp.31-40
8. "Knowledge as Semantic Ability," Journal of Indian Council of Philosophical Research. Vol.29, No.2, 2012, pp.167-192
9. "Ethics of Knowledge Sharing: A perspective on Social Ontology", Ethics in Progress Quarterly, Vol. 3, no. 1, 2012, pp. 53-70
10. "Knowledge and Knowledge Structure: Re-Examining Searle's Internalism", Indian Journal of Analytic Philosophy, Vol. III, No. 2, March 2010.
11. "Reason, Choice and Value: An investigation from Aristotelian Perspective" (co-authored, as first author) Journal of Indian Council of Philosophical Research, Vol. XXVI. No.2, 2009, pp. 73-90
12. The Nature of Philosophizing: A Dialogical Critique", Journal of Indian Council of Philosophical Research, Vol. XXII, No.2, April-June 2005, pp 1- 18
13. "Informative and Performative: What Performative Exactly Is?" Indian Philosophical Quarterly, Vol. XXXII, No.3, July 2005, pp.257-272.
14. "Creative Visualization: A Semantic Analysis", Journal of Indian Council of Philosophical Research, Vol. XX, No.2, 2004, pp.97-1
15. "The Notion of Intentional Content: Mohanty and Searle", Journal of Indian Council of Philosophical Research, Vol. XIV, No.1, 1998, pp.51-62.
16. “Intentionality of Mental Reference" (Discussion & Criticism), Journal of Indian Council of Philosophical Research, Vol. XV, No.1, 1997, pp. 93-98
Publication in Conference Proceeding:
1. "Consciousness and Language: Towards a Unifying Principle", Scientific and Philosophical Studies of Consciousness, ed. Sangeetha Menon, M. G. Narashimhan, Anindya Sinha, B. V. Shreekanthan, NIAS, Bangalore, 1999, pp.
2. "A Perspective of Dialogical Engagement Between Self and Culture", 29th International Wittgenstein Symposium Proceeding on Cultures: Conflict-Analysis-Dialogues, ed. Georg Gasser, Christian Kanzian and Edmund Runggaldier, Vol. XIV, Wittgenstein Philosophical Society, Kirchberg am Wechsel, 2006, pp. 243-245
3. "Searle on Representation: A Relation between Language and Consciousness", ed. Volker A. Munz, Klaus Puhl and Joseph Wang, Pre-proceedings of 32nd International Wittgenstein Symposium on Language and World, Vol. XVII, Krichberg am Wechesel, Vienna, 2009, pp.322-324.
4. “Being in a Divine Dialogue: Integrity and Responsibility in Bhagavat Gita,” (co-authored) in Ethics of Srimad Bhagavat Gita, (ed.) B. K. Nayak M.P. C. Philosophy Series, Vol. IV, 2013. pp. 38-48.
5. Memory and Self-Identity: A analysis from normative point of view,” presented in Intentional Symposium on Memory and Human Wellbeing: Interdisciplinary Perspective, jointly organized by Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Bombay and Japan Society for Promoting Science KaKenhi Project, 9th – 10th November, 2014
Recent Reviews of Books:
1. Making the Social World: The Structure of Human Civilization, by John R. Searle, Indian Journal of Analytic Philosophy, Vol. V, No.1, September 2011, 144-156.
2. Knowing Full Well, Ernest Sosa, Indian Journal of Analytic Philosophy, Vol. V, No. 2, March 2012, pp.110-114.
Recent Papers in Edited Books:
1. “The Normative Significance of Intentional Action,” Reasons for Action and Praxiology. Broadening the Borders"ed. Piotr Makowski & et. al. Transaction Publishers, New Jersey, 20162. “Moral Identity: A Reflection on Pradhan’s the notion of Person and Value”, Mind, Language and Reality: A Reflection on Philosophical Thoughts of R. C. Pradhan, Overseas Press, New Delhi, 2015, pp. 267-284
3. “The Otherness of Self: A Philosophy of Culture,” Philosophy of Cultures: A Contemporary Understanding (eds.) Vanlalnghak and L. Lenka, Akansha Publishing House, New Delhi, 2013, pp. 192-208.
4. “Communicative Intentionality: An Analysis of “The Rules of Statement Making,” Linguistic Representations: The Road Ahead (Hyderabad Studies in Philosophy, no. 10) (ed.) R. C. Pradhan, Decent Books/ D. K. Printworld, New Delhi, 2012, pp. 197-215
5. "Searle and Kim on Emergentism” Knowledge, Value and Evolution, ed. Thomas Hribek and Juraj Hvorecky, College Publications, London, 2011, Pp. 199-214.
6. "The Freudian Unconsciousness: A Philosophical Explanation" Hypnosis: Psycho-Philosophical Persepctive & Theraputic Relevance, (ed) Renu Sharma and B.M. Palan, Concept Publishing House, New Delhi, 2010, Pp. 293-304
7. "Wittgenstein on Moral Consciousness", ed. K. C. Pandey, Ludwig Wittgenstein: Ethics and Religion, Rawat Publication, Jaipur, 2008, pp. 86-102
8. "Naturalizing Intentionality: A Searlean Critique", Language and Mind, ed. R. C. Pradhan, University of Hyderabad Philosophical Series- IV, Decent Books, New Delhi, 2006, pp. 189-219
9. "The Concept of Self in Suresh Chandra" Philosophy of Suresh Chandra, (ed.) R. C. Pradhan, Indian Council of Philosophical Research, New Delhi, 2004, pp. 211-227.
Papers Presented in Recent Siminars and Conferences
1. “Understanding Life: A reading of “The Burden of Poetic Consciousness,” in the ICPR National Seminar on Philosophy of Bishwambhar Pahi, held at the CAS-Department of Philosophy, University of Rajasthan, Jaipur, 12-14 March, 2016.
2. “Learning from Pain: An Analysis of Buddhist’s concept of Anātmā,” in the UGC-ICPR National Seminar on Philosophy of Mind, Matters and Morals: A Buddhist Perspective, held at Centre for Buddhist Studies, Acharya Nagarjuna University, Guntur during 12-14 February, 2016
3. In the Court of Conscience: A reflection on Dharma and Moral attitude, VII International Seminar on Enigma of Law Organized by Balvantbhai Parekh Centre for General Semantics and Other Human Sciences in collaboration with English and Foreign Language University, Hyderabad, during 02-04 November, 2015
4. “The Interiority of Experience: A Reflection of Searle’s notion of Intentionality,” presented in the International Consciousness Conference at Centre for Cognition and Neuroethics [Insight Institute of Neurosurgery and Neuroscience, Flint, Michigan during October, 16-17, 2015
5. “Willing to Struggle with Difficult Ideas”: Hilary Putnam on Life and Value in International Seminar on Philosophy of Hilary Putnam held at Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Bombay, during 3-5 October, 2015
6. “The Difficulty of Being Good” in the ICPR sponsored National Seminar on Ethics and Society: The Moral Writings of Professor P. K. Mohapatra held at Department of Philosophy, Chowdar College, Cuttack, during 15-16 February, 2015
7. “Quest for Identity: Walking on the Lane of Normativity” in the International Conference titled Self-Knowledge and Moral Identity, held at the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, during 13-16January, 2015.
8. “Linguistic Representation: A Reflection on R. C. Pradhan’s Theory of Meaning,” in the International Conference titled Intentionality, Normativity and Objectivity, held at Department of Philosophy, University of Hyderabad, Hyderabad, during 8-10 January 2015.
9. “Memory and Self-Identity: A analysis from normative point of view,” presented in Intentional Symposium on Memory and Human Wellbeing: Interdisciplinary Perspective, jointly organized by Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IIT Bombay and Japan Society for Promoting Science KaKenhi Project, 9th – 10th November, 2014.
10. “Reflection on Debates in Environmental Ethics,” (jointly with Khangembam Romesh) presented in International Conference Towards Ecocultural Ethics, 9-11 October, 2014.
11. “Language, Institution and Ontology: Remnants of Builder’s Language-Game and Performatives,” presented in the UGC-SAP National Seminar on Language and Mind: 20th Century Perspective, Department of Philosophy, Jadavpur University, from 29th – 30th January, 2014.
12. “On Question of Environmental Concern: A Buddhist Contemplation,” (co-authored) UGC National Seminar on Buddhist Applied Philosophy, Department of Buddhist Studies, Acharya Nagarjuna University, from 30th – 31st January, 2014.
13. “The Other Aspects of Ashram Activities: Ecological Harmony and Resource Management from the Gandhian Perspective,” (co-authored) presented in UGC-SAP National seminar on Sustainable Management of Natural Resources: Challenges and Responses, Department of Rural Development and Social Work, S. K. University, Ananthapur, from 24th – 25th March, 2014.
M. Phil. Coordinator/ Faculty Advisor from January 2014 to February 2016
Warden (Hostel-7) from 16th June 20011 to June 2015.
Associate Warden (Hostel-7) from 13th March 2009 to 15th June, 2011.
Faculty Advisor/ Ph.D. Coordinator HSS Dept, November 2010 to January 2014
DPGC Member HSS Dept., from 2008 to 2010
DUGC Member HSS Dept from 2006 to 2008
Dept Library Coordinator HSS Dept from Sept 2004 to 2006
Junior Research Fellow of ICPR (1995,1998)
Life member of Fourm of Contemporary Theory, Baroda.
1. Romesh Singh K. joined in September 2013 working in the area of Environmental Ethics as Post. Doctoral Fellow Ph.D. Students
2. Mr. Rajib Ray has submitted the thesis titled Mind-Brain Problem: An analysis of Contemporary Debates on Consciousness
3. Mr. Manik Konch is working on Aristotle and Moral Psychology.
4. Pragyan Behera is working on her M.Phil Dissertation on Playful Learning
4. Mr. Sarthak Ghosh is working on Problem of Perception and Intentionality
5. Kavezai Tureng is working on Wittgenstein on Thought and Language