- 1987, B.A. Nizam College, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- 1989, M.A. in Sociology, University of Hyderabad.
- 1990, M.Phil in Sociology, University of Hyderabad.
- 1995, Ph.D in Sociology University of Hyderabad.
Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, from April 2007.
Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, March 2003 to March 2007.
Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, September 1999 to February 2003.
Lecturer, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, August 1997 to August 1999.
Senior Research Associate, Socioeconomics and Policy Division, International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, April 1995 to August 1997
Urban Studies, Development Studies, Law and Governance, Legal Pluralism, Vulnerability and Adaptation to Climate Change, Sustainable Transformation, Gender and Development, Disaster Studies
Courses taught at undergraduate and postgraduate level at IIT Bombay.
Contemporary Urban India.
Perspectives in Social Sciences (Introductory Module on Sociology).
Introduction to Sociology.
Development, Planning and Policies in India: Issues and Alternatives.
Science and Technology in India's Development.
Socio-psychological approaches to Development and Change.
Law, Rights, Governance and Development.
Computer aided applied statistics.
Advanced theory of society.
Sociology of Social Stratification in India.
Making Choices: Ethical Issues in Scientific Endeavour.
Introduction to Climate Change
Advanced Research Methods
1. Books and Monographs
- Sujata Patel, D.Parthasarathy, and George Jose, Mumbai / Bombay: Majoritarian Neoliberalism, Informality, Resistance, and Wellbeing, Routledge UK and India (forthcoming in June 2022)
- Tim Bunnell, D.Parthasarathy, and Eric Thompson, Cleavage, Connection and Conflict: Rural, Urban and Contemporary Asia, ARI-Springer Asia Series, Springer, 2013
- D.Parthasarathy, T.F.Thekkekara and Veena Poonacha , Women’s Self Help Groups: Restructuring Socio-Economic Development, Dominant Publishers, Delhi, 2011
- Amit Garg, Ashish Rana, P.R. Shukla, Manmohan Kapshe, D.Parthasarathy, K.Narayanan, and Unmesh Patnaik, “Handbook of Current and Next Generation Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment Tools”, Monograph, IDS Sussex BASIC Project, 2007
- Padmaja R, Bantilan MCS, D. Parthasarathy, and Gandhi BVJ, “Gender and social capital mediated technology adoption” Impact Series No. 12. ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, India, 2006
- M.C.S.Bantilan and D. Parthasarathy, "Efficiency and Sustainability Gains from Adoption of Short Duration Pigeonpea in Non-legume based Cropping Systems", Impact Series No.6, ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, India, 1999.
- D. Parthasarathy, Collective Violence in a Provincial City, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 1997.
2. Selected Journal articles and Book Chapters
1. Srivastava, Shilpi, Shibaji Bose, Devanathan Parthasarathy, and Lyla Mehta. "Climate Justice for Whom? Understanding the Vernaculars of Climate Action and Justice in Marginal Environments of India." 53, 4, 2022: 101-124
2. Mehta, Lyla, D. Parthasarathy, Justin Pickard, and Shilpi Srivastava. "The Political Ecology of COVID-19 and Compounded Uncertainties in Marginal Environments." Frontiers in Human Dynamics (2022): 8.
3. Swami, Deepika, and Devanathan Parthasarathy. "Assessing effectiveness of agricultural adaptation strategies in context of crop loss: a case study of the Indian subcontinent." Regional Environmental Change 22, no. 2 (2022): 1-15.
2. Mehta, L., Srivastava, S., Movik, S., Adam, H. N., D’Souza, R., Parthasarathy, D., and Ohte, N. (2021). Transformation as praxis: responding to climate change uncertainties in marginal environments in South Asia. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability, 49, 110-117
4. Swami, D., Dave, P., & Parthasarathy, D. (2021). Analysis of temperature variability and extremes with respect to crop threshold temperature for Maharashtra, India. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 144(3), 861-872
5. Swami, D., & Parthasarathy, D. Dynamics of exposure, sensitivity, adaptive capacity and agricultural vulnerability at district scale for Maharashtra, India. Ecological Indicators, 2021: 121, 107206
6. Parthasarathy, D. (2020). Challenging the Environment: Uncertain Pathways to Transformation in/for India. Les Cahiers d'Outre-Mer, 281(1), 5-16.
7. Ramchandran, Pushkala, Nikita Patel, Harini Swaminathan, Alka Jadhav, Priyanka Shinde, Prachi Karnik, D Parthasarathy, and Narendra G Shah, “Efficacy of Micronutrient Fortified Supplementary Foods (Ready to Cook and Ready to Eat) and Take-Home Ration (THR) in children with Moderate Acute Malnutrition (MAM) using Community Based Approach”, Pediatric Oncall Journal, January-March, 17, 1, 2020: 1-7
8. Swami, D., Dave, P. & Parthasarathy, D. Understanding farmers’ suicidal ideation: a structural equation modeling study in Maharashtra, India. Climatic Change (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s10584-020-02935-8
9. Swami, D. and Parthasarathy, D, “A multidimensional perspective to farmers’ decision making determines the adaptation of the farming community. Journal of Environmental Management”, Journal of Environmental Management, 264, June 2020
10. Huque, Sarmistha Pattanaik, and D.Parthasarathy, “Cityscape Transformation and the Temporal Metamorphosis of East Kolkata Wetlands: A Political Ecology Perspective”, Sociological Bulletin, 69, 1, 2020: 95-112
11. Deepmala Baghel and D.Parthasarathy, “Knowledge Generation for Innovation in Ayurvedic Cosmetics MSMEs: Investigating Entrepreneur’s Cultural and Symbolic Capital”, Science, Technology, and Society, 24, 1, 2019: 101-121
12. Dwiparna Chatterjee and D. Parthasarathy, “Kamala Mills Fire and the Perilous Gentrification of Mumbai”, Economic and Political Weekly, 53, 16, 2018
13. D. Parthasarathy, “Inequality, uncertainty, and vulnerability: Rethinking governance from a disaster justice perspective”, Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space, 1 (3), 2018, 422-442
14. D.Parthasarathy and Binti Singh, “Introduction: Culture, Place and Ecology”, Introduction to Special Issue of the Indian Anthropologist on Culture, Place, and Ecology, Guest Edited by D.Parthasarathy and Binti Singh, 48, 2, 2018, 1-6
15. Shibaji Bose, Upasona Ghosh, Hemantkumar Chouhan, N.C.Narayanan, and D.Parthasarathy, “Uncertainties and Vulnerabilities among the Koli fishers in Mumbai: A Photovoice Study”, Special Issue of the Indian Anthropologist on Culture, Place, and Ecology, Guest Edited by D.Parthasarathy and Binti Singh, 48, 2, 2018, 65-80
16. Swami, Deepika, Prashant Dave, and Devanathan Parthasarathy. "Agricultural susceptibility to monsoon variability: A district level analysis of Maharashtra, India." Science of the Total Environment, 619 (2018): 559-577.
17. Hemant Kumar Chouhan, D.Parthasarathy, and S. Pattanaik, “Urban Development, Environmental Vulnerability and CRZ Violations in India: Impacts on Fishing Communities and sustainability implications in Mumbai Coast”, Environment, Development and Sustainability, 19, 3, 2017: 971-985
18. Hemant Kumar Chouhan, D.Parthasarathy, and S. Pattanaik, “Coastal Ecology and Fishing Community in Mumbai: CRZ Policy, Sustainability and Livelihoods”, Economic and Political Weekly, 51, 39, 2016: 48-57
19. Huque, S., Pattanaik, S., & Parthasarathy, D, “Are Sustainable Cities ‘Sustainable’ for the Poor? A Study of Kolkata in Eastern India”, Sociologia Urbana e Rurale, 109, 2016, 9-21
20. D.Parthasarathy, “Decentralization, Pluralization, Balkanization? Challenges for Disaster Mitigation and Governance in Mumbai”, Habitat International,52, 2016, 26-34
21. Smita Pendharkar and D.Parthasarathy, “Pandharpur's Wari: a discursive terrain for Maharashtra's productive castes”, Asian Journal of Social Science, 44,1-2, 2016, 132 – 164
22. Sherly M. A., Subhankar Karmakar, D. Parthasarathy, Terence Chan, Christian Rau, “Disaster-Vulnerability Mapping for a Densely Populated Coastal Urban Area - An Application to Mumbai, India”, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 105, 6, 2015: 1198-1220
23. D. Parthasarathy, “Informality, Resilience, and the Political Implications of Disaster Governance”, Special on ‘Governing Floods in Asia’s Urban Transition’, Pacific Affairs, 88, 3, 2015: 551-575
24. Huque, S., Pattanaik, S., & Parthasarathy, D, “Individualization of the Public Space: The Other-ing of the Poor in our cities”, Journal of Development Management and Communication, 2 (3), 2015, 237-247.
25. D. Parthasarathy, “The Poverty of (Marxist) Theory: Peasant Classes, Provincial Capital, and the Critique of Globalization in India”, Journal of Social History, 48, 4, 2015
26. Sheila Bonde, Clyde Briant, Paul Firenze, Julianne Hanavan, Amy Huang, Min Li, N. C. Narayanan, D. Parthasarathy, Hongqin Zhao, “Making Choices: Ethical Decisions in a Global Context”, Science and Engineering Ethics, Online First, 12 May 2015, DOI 10.1007/s11948-015-9641-5.
27. Baghel, Deepmala, D. Parthasarathy, and M. Gupta. "Will you walk into my parlor? Spaces and practices of beauty in Mumbai," South Asian Popular Culture 12.3 (2014): 163-179
28. D.Parthasarathy , “Hunters, Gatherers, and Foragers in a Metropolis: Commonizing the Private and Public in Mumbai”, Economic and Political Weekly, 46, 50, December 2011
29. Deepmala Baghel, D.Parthasarathy, and Meenakshi Gupta, “Innovation in Indian Small Scale Industries: Case Study of Cosmetics Small Scale Industry in Mumbai”, ASCI Journal of Management , 41, 1, 2011, 91–108
30. Binti Singh and D.Parthasarathy, “Civil Society Organisation Partnerships in Urban Governance: An Appraisal of the Mumbai Experience”, Sociological Bulletin”, Vo.59, No.1, Jan-April 2010
31. Neetu Chowdhary and D.Parthasarathy,, “Is Migration Status a Determinant of Urban Nutrition Insecurity? Empirical Evidence from Mumbai City in India”, Journal of Biosocial Science, 41, 2009
32. Upasna Sharma, Anand Patwardhan, D.Parthasarathy, “Assessing adaptive capacity to tropical cyclones in the East coast of India: A pilot study of public response to cyclone warning information”, Climatic Change, 94, 2009, p.189-209
33. D.Parthasarathy , “Social and Environmental Insecurities in Mumbai: Towards a sociological perspective on vulnerability”, South African Review of Sociology, 40, 1, 2009
34. R. Shubha, Tanmay Bhattacharya, Meenakshi Gupta, and D.Parthasarathy,, “Spirit possession in a healing centre: View from within”, Psychological Studies, 53 (3 & 4), 2008, 219-225
35. Neetu Choudhary and D.Parthasarathy, “Gender, Work, and Household Food Security”, Economic and Political Weekly, 42, 5, 2007.
36. D.Parthasarathy, “Shifting Fields of Legitimacy: Globalization and Resistance in a Historical Perspective”, Special Issue on Legal Pluralism in India, of the Indian Socio-legal Journal on Legal Pluralism, 31, (special), 2005.
37. D. Parthasarathy, “Urban Transformation, Civic Exclusion and Elite Discourse”, in City: A Quarterly on Urban Issues, No.4, 2003.)
1. Sujata Patel, D. Parthasarathy, and George Jose, “Introduction: Pathways towards Majoritarian Neoliberalism in Mumbai”, In Sujata Patel, D. Parthasarathy, and George Jose Eds. Mumbai / Bombay: Majoritarian Neoliberalism, Informality, Resistance, and Wellbeing, Routledge UK and India, forthcoming 2022
2. Parthasarathy, D. “The Difficult Quest for Solidarity and Citizenship: Civility, Politics and Neoliberalism”, in Sujata Patel, D. Parthasarathy, and George Jose Eds. Mumbai / Bombay: Majoritarian Neoliberalism, Informality, Resistance, and Wellbeing, Routledge UK and India, forthcoming 2022
3. Hemant Kumar Chouhan and D.Parthasarathy, “Coastal Contestations and Contestations: Fishing Spaces and Fishy Governance in Uran, Mumbai”, In Ajit Menon and Satyajit Singh (eds.) The Politics of the Local in Natural Resource Governance in India, Orient Blackswan, forthcoming 2022
4. Hemant Kumar A. Chouhan, and D. Parthasarathy, “Environmental Governance and CRZ Rules: Coastal Contestation, Environmental damages, and the need for Integrated Coastal Management”, In Sarmistha Pattanaik ed. Governance in Sociology of Natural Resources in the Post-liberalization Phase: Issues and Perspectives from India, Orient Blackswan, forthcoming 2022
5. Parthasarathy, D. Ethnicity, Class, Leisure and Aspirations: Football in Mumbai's Sociospatial Dynamics. In Pardma Prakash and Meena Gopal eds. Sports Studies in India, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2021
6. Parthasarathy, D. “India's Emerging Risk Urbanism. Cities, Commons and Neo-Liberal Transformations”. In Sujata Patel ed. Neoliberalism, Urbanization and Aspirations in Contemporary India, Oxford University Press, Delhi, 2021: pp. 175-196
7. Adam, Hans Nicolai, Synne Movik, D. Parthasarathy, N. C. Narayanan, and Lyla Mehta. "Climate change and uncertainty in India's maximum city, Mumbai." In The Politics of Climate Change and Uncertainty in India, pp. 134-160. Routledge, 2021.
8. Movik, Synne, Mihir R. Bhatt, Lyla Mehta, Hans Nicolai Adam, Shilpi Srivastava, D. Parthasarathy, Espen Sjaastad, Shibaji Bose, Upasona Ghosh, and Lars Otto Naess. "Bridging gaps in understandings of climate change and uncertainty." In The Politics of Climate Change and Uncertainty in India, pp. 161-185. Routledge, 2021
9. Parthasarathy, D., & Chouhan, H. A. (2020). ‘New coastal claims and socio-legal contestations in Mumbai: Artisanal fishers and the problematic of the urban environment”. In Manisha Rao, Ed., Reframing the Environment, Routledge India, 2020: pp.100-110
10. Parthasarathy, D., Yash Shethia, and N. C. Narayanan. "Cross-scale institutional linkages in climate change responses: An Indian perspective." In Venkataraman, Ghosh, Mishra, and Karmakar eds., Climate Change Signals and Response, pp. 255-271. Springer, Singapore, 2019.
11. Chouhan, H.A., D. Parthasarathy, and Sarmistha Pattanaik, “Coastal Environmental Vulnerability: Sustainability and fisher livelihoods in Mumbai, India”, in C.Patrick Heidkamp and John Morrissey eds, Towards Coastal Resilience and Sustainability, Routledge, London and New York, 2019
12. Chatterjee, Dwiparna, and D. Parthasarathy. "Gentrification and Rising Urban Aspirations in the Inner City: Redefining Urbanism in Mumbai." In Jenia Mukherjee ed. Sustainable Urbanization in India, pp. 239-255. Springer, Singapore, 2018.
13. K.Narayanan, D.Parthasarathy, Arun B. Inamdar and Santosh Kumar Sahu, “Climate Change and the Vulnerable Indian Coast”, in R.Ramesh and J.R.Bhatt Eds. Climate Change and the Vulnerable Indian Coast, Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, New Delhi, 2018
14. Chouhan, H. A., Parthasarathy, D., & Pattanaik, S. (2018). Urban at the Edges: Mumbai’s Coastline Urbanisms. In Jenia Mukherjee ed. Sustainable Urbanization in India (pp. 279-293). Springer, Singapore.
15. Sharma, Sneha, and D. Parthasarathy. "Urban Ecologies in Transition: Contestations around Waste in Mumbai." In Jenia Mukherjee ed. Sustainable Urbanization in India, pp. 207-223. Springer, Singapore, 2018.
16. Singh, N., Parthasarathy, D., & Narayanan, N. C. (2018). Contested Urban Waterscape of Udaipur. In Jenia Mukherjee ed. Sustainable Urbanization in India (pp. 295-317). Springer, Singapore.
17. Parthasarathy, D. "Global Flows or Rural–Urban Connections? Temporality, Public Spaces and Heterotopias in Globalising Mumbai." In N.Jayaram ed. Social Dynamics of the Urban, pp. 33-59. Springer, New Delhi, 2017.
18. Dwiparna Chatterjee and D.Parthasarathy, “Everyday life of the working class in Mumbai: Transformation, city branding, and gentrification”, in Jun Wang, Tim Oakes, Yang Yang ed., Making Cultural Cities in Asia: Mobility, assemblage, and the politics of aspirational urbanism, Routledge Regions and Cities Series, 2016
19. Hemant Kumar Chouhan, and D.Parthasarathy, "Urban Development, Environmental Vulnerability and CRZ Violations: Issues and Challenges for Fishing Community in Mumbai," in Mohinder Kumar Slariya and Prithviraj Jha eds., Socio-Ecological Aspects of Development and Climate Change. ed., Saarbrucken, Scholar's Press. 2015, pp.9-22,
20. D. Parthasarathy, “Law-breakers and Law-makers: Critical Legal Pluralism, Normative Subjects and Ecological Regimes in India”, in Maarten Bavinck, Amalendu Jyotishi ed., Conflict, Negotiations and Natural Resource Management: A Legal Pluralism Perspective from India, Routledge, 2014
21. D. Parthasarathy, “Rural, Urban, and Regional: Re-spatializing Capital and Politics in India”, in Tim Bunnell, D.Parthasarathy, and Eric Thompson, Cleavage, Connection and Conflict: Rural, Urban and Contemporary, ARI-Springer Asia Series, Springer, 2013, 15-30
22. Eric C Thompson, Tim Bunnell, and D. Parthasarathy, “Society and Politics across Urban and Rural Asia” in Tim Bunnell, D.Parthasarathy, and Eric Thompson, Cleavage, Connection and Conflict: Rural, Urban and Contemporary, ARI-Springer Asia Series, Springer, 2013, 1-14
23. D.Parthasarathy, "Risk, vulnerability and resilience: climate change and the urban poor in Asia”, in "Human Security and Climate Change in Southeast Asia", eds., Lorraine Elliott, Mely Caballero-Anthony. Routledge Security in Asia Pacific Series, 2012
24. D.Parthasarathy , “A Village Without Moneylenders: SHGs Economic Change, and the Restructuring of Social Relations”, in D.Parthasarathy, T.F.Thekkekara and Veena Poonacha eds., “Women’s Self Help Groups: Restructuring Socio-Economic Development”, Dominant Publishers, India, 2011
25. D.Parthasarathy , “Planning and the Fate of Democracy: State, Capital, and Governance in Post-Independence India”, in Vincent Kelly Pollard ed., “Wrestling with the Leviathan: State Capitalism, Contentious Politics and Large-Scale Social Change”, Brill, Leiden, 2011
26. D.Parthasarathy, “After Reservations: Caste, Institutional Isomorphism, and Affirmative Action in the IITs”, in “Equalizing Access: Affirmative Action in Higher Education: India, US, and South Africa”, eds., Zoya Hasan and Martha C. Nussbaum, Oxford University Press, Delhi, 2011
27. D.Parthasarathy , The Antinomies of Modernity and Sustainability? Developing an Indian Perspective on Governance and Responsibility, in Christoph Eberhard (dir.), Traduire nos responsabilités planétaires: Recomposer nos paysages juridiques, Bruxelles, Bruylant, Col. Bibliothèque de l’Académie, Européenne de Théorie du Droit, 2009
28. D.Parthasarathy, “Land laws, minerals, and development: A case for legislative innovations”, in Christoph Eberhard (ed.), “Law, Land use and the Environment: Afro-Indian Dialogues”, IFP, Pondichery, 2007.
29. D.Parthasarathy, Taking Participation Seriously : A Critique of ‘Good Governance’, in Christoph Eberhard ed. Droit, gouvernance et développement durable, Cahier d'anthropologie du Droit, Paris, 2005.
30. A.Patwardhan, K.Narayanan, Parthasarathy D, and U.Sharma), "Impacts of Climate Change on Coastal Zones", in P.R. Shukla et al edited, Climate Change and India: Vulnerability Assessment and Adaptation, Universities Press, Hyderabad, 2003
31. M.C.S.Bantilan, Parthasarathy D, and R.Padmaja), "Enhancing Research Poverty Alleviation Linkages: Experiences from the Semi Arid Tropics", in Shantanu Mathur and Douglas Pachico edited Agricultural research and poverty Reduction: Some Issues and Evidences, CIAT Economics and Impact Series 2, CIAT, Colombia, 2003.
Recent and Selected Conference presentationns
- Swati Shinde, D Parthasarathy and N.C. Narayanan, “Role of Emergent Groups in Strengthening Local Capacity for Disaster Resilience to Urban Floods”, paper presented at the 5th World Conference on Disaster Management, 24-27 Nov 2021
- Parthasarathy, D. “Industries, Infrastructures and Blue Economy: Coastal Transformation and Contested Development in the context of Climate Change”, paper presented at the 3rd Knowledge Summit, organized by the French Institute in India, 24-26 Nov 2021
- Swati Shinde, Theresa Zimmermann, D. Parthasarathy, NC Narayanan, “Linking climate change adaptation and disaster risk reduction: potentials for re-conceptualizing flood risk governance in Mumbai”, Poster Presentation, Adaptation Futures Conference, New Delhi, October 2021
- Parthasarathy, D. “Development Trajectories and Emerging Flashpoints: Socio-Legal Responses of Fishers in Palghar Coast, Maharashtra, India”, paper presented at the MARE 2021 People & the Sea Conference, 28 June to 2 July 2021
- Swati Shinde, D, Parthasarathy., NC, Narayanan, “Understanding Tipping Points for Transformational Adaptations for Urban Floods in the Context of Climate Extremes”, Transformations 2021: Enabling Positive Tipping Points in an Uncertain World- Virtual conference and proceedings, 16-17 June 2021.
- Parthasarathy, D, NC Narayanan, Lalatendu Keshari Das, Ketaki Tare, and Jai Bhadgaonkar, “Arresting Environmental Collapse, Restoring Resource-based Livelihoods: Transforming Koli Fisherfolk in and with Mumbai”, GOBESHONA Global Conference, International Centre for Climate Change and Development, 18-24 Jan 2021
- D Parthasarathy, Patil I., Inamdar A., Agarwadkar Y. (2021), “Indicator Species, Cultural Symbol, Livelihood Bombay Duck (Bombil) as Coastal Heritage in Mumbai, India”, IUAES Congress 2020 (online), "Coming of Age on Earth: Legacies and Next Generation Anthropology", 9-14 March 2021.
- Kasthala, S., Inamdar, A. B., Parthasarathy, D., and Narayanan, K. “Anthropogenic Vulnerability – Changes in Coastal policies and their Impact on Coastal Vulnerability”. Poster presentation at the American Geophysical Union’s (AGU) Fall meeting. 1-17 December 2020
- D.Parthasarathy, N.C.Narayanan, Lalatendu Keshari Das, Ketaki Tare, Jay Bhadgaonkar, “Co-producing the linked futures of fisherfolk and the city: Transforming in and with Mumbai”, The third biennial conference of the Political Ecology Network, IDS Sussex, Brighton UK (online conference), 24 Sep 2020
- D.Parthasarathy, “Interrogating the history of drought research in the time of climate variability”, paper presented at the Indo-US bilateral symposium on “The study of decadal scale droughts and mega-droughts in semi-arid tracts of India and North America”, Indian Institute of Science Education and Research Mohali, 2-4 Jan 2020
- D. Parthasarathy, “Anthropo-Sea: Reassessing Ocean Grab and Coastal Squeeze in the context of Climate Change - Perspectives from Asia”, Keynote address at the 10th MARE Conference on People and the Sea: Learning from the Past, Imagining the Future, University of Amsterdam, 24-28 June 2019
- D. Parthasarathy and Dwiparna Chatterjee, “Theorizing Gentrification from the South or Globalizing Gentrification Theory? A perspective from Mumbai, India”, paper presented at the Comparative Urbanism: Global Perspective Conference, March 7-8, 2019 Urban Studies Institute | Georgia State University
- D. Parthasarathy, “Privatizing the commons, commoning disasters: Perilous urbanization in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region”, Emerging Challenges for Urban Sustainability in India Workshop organised by Centre for Urban Ecological Sustainability, Azim Premji University 3rd and 4th January 2019, Bengaluru
- D. Parthasarathy, “Contested citizenship, Environmentalism, and Neo-liberal Gurus in Contemporary India: Pluralizing Illegalities?”, International Conference of the Commission on Legal Pluralism, University of Ottawa, 17-20 August 2018
- Hemant Kumar Chouhan, D.Parthasarathy, and Sarmistha Pattanaik , “New Coastal Claims and Contestations: Political Ecology, Power Relations and Sustainability of Fishing Community in Mumbai, India” as part of the Second Biennial Conference of the Political Ecology Network (POLLEN 18), on “Political Ecology, the Green Economy, and Alternative Sustainabilities”, from 20 to 222nd June,2018, at University of Oslo, Norway
- Deepika Swami and D.Parthasarathy, “Determinants of adaptation to Climate Variability for Vidarbha region of Maharashtra, India," Indian Society of Ecgeorgiological Economics, 8-10 Nov 2017, Thrissur
- D. Parthasarathy, “India’s Emerging Risk Urbanism”, paper presented in Plenary 1 on “The Urban Transformation of India:, at the 43rd All Indian Sociological Congress, Lucknow University, 9-12 November 2017
- D.Parthasarathy, “The Missing Link between Climate Change and Disaster Governance: A Critique of India’s Climate Action Plans and Missions”, paper presented at the Climate Disaster Governance Conference, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 21-22 Sep 2017
- D. Parthasarathy, “The disjuncture between state and national policies regarding disaster management and climate action plans, presented at the Indo-German Partnership Program workshop”, organized under the aegis of the UGC-DAAD IGP Program, Freie Universitate, Berlin, 12 July 2017
- D. Parthasarathy, “Contours of India’s Coastal Urbanism: Loss of Imagination and Reimagining a Future”, paper presented at the conference on: Resilient Cities: for Human Flourishing: Governing the Asia-Pacific Urban Transition in the Anthropocene, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 2-3 March 2017
- D.Parthasarathy, “Claims, Evidence, and Legal-Scientific Fictions: Contesting the Commons and Ecological Regimes in the Mumbai Region”, Session 4.5 Legal Pluralism and the Making of Truth in Conflicts over Natural Resources and the Environment, paper presented in the conference on “Thinking with Evidence, Seeking Certainty: Making Truth, organized by the Law and Social Sciences Research Network, New Delhi, 10-12 Dec 2016 (Also presented in the ICSSR sponsored National conference on “Environmental Governance in the Post-Liberalization Phase in India: Challenges for Sustainability and Social Justice”, Department of Humanities & Social Sciences IIT- Bombay, 23-24 Jan 2017
- D. Parthasarathy, “Inequality, Uncertainty, and Vulnerability: Rethinking Governance from a Disaster Justice Perspective”, Keynote Address given at the conference on Disaster Justice in Anthropocene Asia and the Pacific, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 17-18 November 2016
- D.Parthasarathy, “Climate Change, Uncertainty and Flooding in Mumbai, India: The Role of Emergent Communities in Disaster Perception, Action and Policy-making, Session SS-12, Sense of Community : Issue and Problems for Effective Community Based Disaster Risk Management, paper presented at the 7th International Conference on Integrated Disaster Risk Management, Disasters and Development: Towards a Risk Aware Society, organized by International Earthquake Engineering Association (IEEA) and Integrated Disaster Risk Management Society (IDRiM), 1-3 October 2016,
- D. Parthasarathy, “Beyond state and market in coastal cities: Land, Commons, Regulation and Environmental Imperatives”, paper presented at the Workshop on Land and Business: Challenges and Opportunities for India, Institute for South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore, 10-11 October 2016
- Hans Nicolai Adam, D.Parthasarathy, Alankar, Synne Movik, Abhiram Sahrasabudhe, and Lyla Mehta “Climate Change, Uncertainty and Flooding: Politics and Perspectives in Mumbai”, paper presented at session on Impacts of droughts and floods in cities: policies and governance, World Water Week, Stockholm, 31 August, 2016
- D.Parthasarathy, “Slum as Innovation: Informality, Transnationalism, and Urban Futures”, paper presented at the sixth annual International Development Conference, University of Waterloo, 26 February 2016
- D.Parthasarathy, Hemant Kumar Chouhan and Sarmistha Pattanaik, “New Claims on the Coastal Commons: Contestation, Marginalization of Fishers and Fisher Spaces, and Environmental Degradation in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region”, paper presented at the Eighth INSEE Biennial Conference, 2016, Bengaluru, on “Urbanization and the Environment”
- Hemant Kumar Chouhan, D.Parthasarathy, and Sarmistha Pattanaik, “Political Ecology of Natural Resource and Its Degradation, Power Relations, Marginalization of Small-Scale Fishing in Mumbai”, paper presented at the Eighth INSEE Biennial Conference, 2016, Bengaluru, on “Urbanization and the Environment”
- D.Parthasarathy, Hemant Kumar Chouhan and Sarmistha Pattanaik, New Coastal Claims and Fisher Resistance in Mumbai, paper presented at the National Conference on “Reframing the Environment: Resources, Risk & Resistance in Neoliberal India”, University of Mumbai, 21-22 January, 2016
- D.Parthasarathy, “Pluralization, Balkanization and Technologies of Governance: Disaster Management and Legal Pluralism in and beyond Mumbai”, paper presented at the Biennial International Conference of the Commission on Legal Pluralism, IIT Bombay, 14-16 December 2015
- D.Parthasarathy, Aamchi Mumbai: Capital, Commons, and the City(zen), paper presented at the 1st IASC Thematic Conference on the Urban Commons, Bologna, 5-7 November 2015
- D.Parthasarathy, Yash Shethia, and N.C.Narayanan, “Cross-Scale Institutional Linkages in Climate Change Responses: Challenges for India”, paper presented at the International Seminar (CC 2015) on “Climate Change: Impact on Developing Countries”, 15th - 17th October 2015, Union Christian College, Shillong
- D.Parthasarathy, “Decentralization, Pluralization, Balkanization? Challenges for Disaster Mitigation and Governance in Mumbai”, paper presented at the conference on Decentralized Disaster Governance in Urbanizing Asia, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 5-6 March 2015
- Sneha Sharma and D. Parthasarathy, “Urban Ecologies in Transition: Contestations and Negotiations around Kanjur-Marg Dumping Ground Mumbai”, paper presented in conference on Sustainable Urbanization in India: Challenges and Opportunities, organised by Institute of Development Studies Kolkata, January 15 & 16, 2015
- Hemant Kumar Chouhan and D.Parthasarathy, “Urban at the Edges: Mumbai’s Coastline Urbanisms”, paper presented in conference on Sustainable Urbanization in India: Challenges and Opportunities, organised by Institute of Development Studies Kolkata, January 15 & 16, 2015
- Neha Singh and D.Parthasarathy, “Contested Waterscape of Udaipur”, paper presented in conference on Sustainable Urbanization in India: Challenges and Opportunities, organised by Institute of Development Studies Kolkata, January 15 & 16, 2015
- D.Parthasarathy, “Relationality, Simultaneity, Multiplicity: Comprehending and Theorizing Structures and Flows in Asia”, paper presented at the Quadrant Conference 2015, Anjuman-I-Islam's Kalsekar Technical Campus School of Architecture, 9-10 January 2015. (also presented at the School of Development Studies, Tata Institute of Social Sciences in their Friday seminar series, 11 September, 2015)
- Convener, Climate Studies Inter-disciplinary Programme, 2017-20
- Co-Convener, Centre for Excellence in Climate Studies, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, 2014 - 2018
- Head, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, 2014-17
- Co-Chairperson, Institute Review Board, IIT Bombay, 2019-22
- Professor in Charge, Indo-German Partnership in Higher Education (Collaboration between IIT Bombay, IIT Kharagpur and Technische Universitat Munich), 2020-24; project themes: sustainable and inclusive transport, energy, climate policy, and entrepreneurship.
Selected and More recent
- India Lead Investigator, OCEAN Sustainability Pathways for Achieving Conflict Transformation (OCEANS PACT), sponsored by Belmont Forum CRA Transdisciplinary Research for Ocean Sustainability and Ministry of Earth Sciences, Government of India (2020-23)
- India Core Team Member / Resource Person, National Science Foundation funded project on “Transdisciplinary Training Collaboratory: Building Common Ground”, 2021-23
- India Lead Investigator, “Transformation Decisions for the Adaptation and Sustainability of Cities in the Face of Environmental and Socio-economic Change”, sponsored by German Federal Ministry of Science and Education (BMBF) (2020-2025)
- Co-Investigator, “Performing Arts Industry: The Economic and Livelihood Implications on Artists and Cultural Impact on Society due to Covid-19”, sponsored by the Indian Council of Social Science Research under the Covid Special Call (2020-22).
- Principal Investigator, “Study to assess the acquisition of accurate & relevant climate information by Indian Cities/States; Development and piloting of Newsletter”, International Urban Cooperation, European Union, 2020-21
- India Lead Investigator, TAPESTRY: “Transformation as Praxis – Exploring Socially Just and Transdisciplinary Pathways to Sustainability in Marginal Environments”, sponsored by Belmont Forum and NORFACE joint programme Transformations to Sustainability (2019-22)
- Principal Investigator, “Knowledge Co-production and Transformative Response to Climate Impacts”, Project sponsored by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, under the Centre for Excellence in Climate Studies, National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change (2019-23).
- Principal Investigator, “Climate Change Impacts, Vulnerability and Adaptation: Coastal Areas, Islands and Fisheries”, Project sponsored by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of India, under the Centre for Excellence in Climate Studies, National Mission on Strategic Knowledge for Climate Change (2019-23).
- Principal Investigator, “Survey of various infrastructural facilities to be provided to the Mahul Project rehabilitates”, Urban Development Department, Government of Maharashtra, 2018-19
- Co-PI, “Coastal transformations and fisher wellbeing - synthesized perspectives from India and Europe”, EqUIP Pilot Call Joint Research Programme, EU-India Platform for Social Sciences and Humanities (2018-21). Funded by ICSSR.
- India Lead Collaborator, Indo-German Partnership Program in Higher Education. Collaboration on training and research with Freie Universitat, Berlin: “Decentralized Environmental Policies in India” (2017-20)
- Co-investigator in NATCOM Project (National Communication to UNFCCC) project on "Climate Change Impacts in Coastal Zones". Project funded by UNDP through Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India (Phase 1: 2002-03, Phase 2: 2008-10, and Phase 3: 2017-19).
- India Lead Collaborator, “SUSTAINABLE URBANIZATION IN 21st CENTURY SOUTH ASIA A LANDSCAPE STUDY”, in Collaboration with the Urban Studies Institute, Georgia State University and Centre for Urban Studies, University of Amsterdam. Sponsored by National Geographic, 2018
- India Lead Collaborator, “Contesting the Coastal Commons: The Changing Socio-legal position of Fishing populations in Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra”, ICSSR-NWO Bilateral Programme (INDIAN COUNCIL OF SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH and Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research, 2016-18)
- India Lead Collaborator, Indo-German Partnership Program in Higher Education. Collaboration on training and research with Freie Universitat, Berlin: Gender mainstreaming and sexual harassment in higher education (2017-20)
- Co-investigator, “Climate Change, Uncertainty, and Transformation”, sponsored by Norwegian Research Council, in collaboration with IDS, Sussex, and Norwegian University of Life Sciences (2015-18)
- Co-investigator, “DHARAVI NUTRITION PROJECT”, Tata Centre for Technology and Design, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (2014-16)
- Co-investigator, Project on “Integrated Impact Assessment Study for Mithi River”, sponsored by Mithi River Development and Protection Authority, Mumbai (2013-15)
- Co-investigator, “Ethical Awareness in International Collaborations: A Contextual Approach” (Curriculum development, teaching and research project), in association with Brown University and Zhejiang University, funded by National Science Foundation, USA (2009-12)
- “Empowerment of Women in Maharashtra through Micro Finance Programmes”, Maharashtra Women’s Development Corporation, Government of Maharashtra (2006-08)
- Consultant for “Baseline Socio-economic Survey for Mithi River Environmental Improvement Project”, Mumbai Metropolitan Regional Development Authority (2005-06)
- Co-investigator on BASIC Project (Building & Strengthening Institutional Capacity on Climate Change), project funded by European Union and coordinated by Institute of Development Studies, Sussex. (2005-06)
- Co-investigator in Department of Science and Technology, Government of India sponsored project on "Integrated Technology Utilization Project for Rahata Block, Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra. (Phase 1: 2005-06, Phase 2: 2009-11)
Awards and Recognition
Departmental Award for Excellence in Teaching, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, for the year 2018-19
India Value Fund Chair Professor, 2014-2020
ICCR Visiting Chair Professor in India Studies, South Asian Studies Program, National University of Singapore (August-December 2013).
Visiting Research Fellow, Zentrum Moderner Orient, Berlin (April-May 2013).
Visiting Senior Research Fellow, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore (July 15 2008 to July 14 2009).
Visiting Scientist / Consultant at the International Crops Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics, 1997 - 2001.
Visiting Fellow at Resource Management in Asia Pacific Program, Australian National University, Canberra, May-July 2003.
Panos Media Fellowship on "ICTs-Enabled Communication Strategies for Social Change", by Panos Institute, London, 2003.
Research Medal (Citation and a cash award) for a co-authored paper titled "Building Social Capital: Collective Action, Adoption of Agricultural Innovations, and Poverty Reduction in the Indian Semi-Arid Tropics", at the 2nd Global Development Network Conference, Tokyo, 11-13, December 2000.
University Grants Commission Junior and Senior Research Fellowship, 1992-95.
University Merit Scholarship - August 1989 to July 1990, University of Hyderabad.
University Gold Medal, Master of Arts Programme (Sociology), University Of Hyderabad, 1989.
Board, Commission on Legal Pluralism, International Union of Ethnological and Anthropological Sciences (from August 2013)
Convenor, Research Committee 03 on "Economy, Polity, and Society, Indian Sociological Society, (2006-09)
Editorial Board, South Asia Research
Editorial Board, Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space
Advisory Board, International Beliefs and Values Institute, James Madison University, USA (2006-07)
Board of Trustees, Samarth Charitable Educational Trust, Guwahati, India (2006-10)
Board of Studies, Social Work Department, Amrita University (2008-10)
Task Force on Microfinance in Maharashtra, Government of Maharashtra (2008-09)
Associate Editor, ARI-Springer Asia Series (Cities)
International Advisory Board, Aceh International Journal of Social Sciences
Advisor, Editorial Board, Development Review (2011-)
Member, Scientific Committee, FICCI-UNEP Indian Life Cycle Assessment and Management Conference (2012)
Expert Reviewer for IPCC Reports, Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
Expert Reviewer for Austrian Climate Research Program (ACRP)
Supervision of Students for Dissertations
Completed Ongoing Completed Ongoing
For Ph.D degree 19 12 6 1
For M.Phil degree 36 2 4 1
For MPP 2
(Supervision of Ph.D, M.Phil, and MPP students across the Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, IDP in Climate Studies, and Centre for Policy Studies)