- 1987, B.A. Nizam College, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- 1989, M.A. in Sociology, University of Hyderabad.
- 1990, M.Phil in Sociology, University of Hyderabad.
- 1995, Ph.D in Sociology University of Hyderabad.
Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, from April 2007.
Associate Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, March 2003 to March 2007.
Assistant Professor, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, September 1999 to February 2003.
Lecturer, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology, August 1997 to August 1999.
Senior Research Associate, Socioeconomics and Policy Division, International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, April 1995 to August 1997.
Research Officer, Planning Commission, Government of India Project on Child Labour in Slate Industry, University of Hyderabad, June 1991 to March 1992.
Research Associate, ICSSR (Indian Council of Social Science Research) Journal of Abstract and Reviews: Sociology and Social Anthropology, September 1990 to June 1991.
Urban Studies, Development Studies, Law and Governance, Legal Pluralism, Vulnerability and Adaptation to Climate Change, Gender and Development, Disaster Studies
- Courses taught at undergraduate and postgraduate level at IIT Bombay.
Contemporary Urban India.
Perspectives in Social Sciences (Introductory Module on Sociology).
Introduction to Sociology.
Development, Planning and Policies in India: Issues and Alternatives.
Science and Technology in India's Development.
Socio-psychological approaches to Development and Change.
Law, Rights, Governance and Development.
Computer aided applied statistics.
Advanced theory of society.
Sociology of Social Stratification in India.
Making Choices: Ethical Issues in Scientific Endeavour.
Introduction to Climate Change
Advanced Research Methods
1. Books and Monographs
- Tim Bunnell, D.Parthasarathy, and Eric Thompson, Cleavage, Connection and Conflict: Rural, Urban and Contemporary, ARI-Springer Asia Series, Springer, 2013
- D.Parthasarathy, T.F.Thekkekara and Veena Poonacha , Women’s Self Help Groups: Restructuring Socio-Economic Development, Dominant Publishers, Delhi, 2011
- Amit Garg, Ashish Rana, P.R. Shukla, Manmohan Kapshe, D.Parthasarathy, K.Narayanan, and Unmesh Patnaik, “Handbook of Current and Next Generation Vulnerability and Adaptation Assessment Tools”, Monograph, IDS Sussex BASIC Project, 2007
- Padmaja R, Bantilan MCS, D. Parthasarathy, and Gandhi BVJ, “Gender and social capital mediated technology adoption” Impact Series No. 12. ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, India, 2006
- M.C.S.Bantilan and D. Parthasarathy, "Efficiency and Sustainability Gains from Adoption of Short Duration Pigeonpea in Non-legume based Cropping Systems", Impact Series No.6, ICRISAT, Patancheru, Andhra Pradesh, India, 1999.
- D. Parthasarathy, Collective Violence in a Provincial City, Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 1997.
- Huque, Sana, Sarmistha Pattanaik, and D. Parthasarathy. "Cityscape Transformation and the Temporal Metamorphosis of East Kolkata Wetlands: A Political Ecology Perspective." Sociological Bulletin 69, no. 1 (2020): 95-112.
- Swami, D. and Parthasarathy, D., 2020. A multidimensional perspective to farmers’ decision making determines the adaptation of the farming community. Journal of Environmental Management, 264, p.110487
- Parthasarathy, D., & Chouhan, H. A. (2020). New coastal claims and socio-legal contestations in Mumbai: Artisanal fishers and the problematic of the urban environment. In Reframing the Environment (pp. 100-110). Routledge India
- Parthasarathy, D., Yash Shethia, and N. C. Narayanan. "Cross-scale institutional linkages in climate change responses: An Indian perspective." In Climate Change Signals and Response, pp. 255-271. Springer, Singapore, 2019
- Parthasarathy, D. Inequality, uncertainty, and vulnerability: Rethinking governance from a disaster justice perspectiveâ€•," Environment and Planning E: Nature and Space,,Vol.1 3:, 2018, pp.422-442
- Swami, Deepika, Prashant Dave, and Devanathan Parthasarathy. "Agricultural susceptibility to monsoon variability: A district level analysis of Maharashtra, India." Science of the Total Environment 619 (2018): 559-577.
- Parthasarathy, D. "Global Flows or Rural–Urban Connections? Temporality, Public Spaces and Heterotopias in Globalising Mumbai." In N.Jayaram ed. Social Dynamics of the Urban, pp. 33-59. Springer, New Delhi, 2017
- Hemant Kumar Chouhan, D.Parthasarathy, and S. Pattanaik, “Urban Development, Environmental Vulnerability and CRZ Violations in India: Impacts on Fishing Communities and sustainability implications in Mumbai Coast”, Environment, Development and Sustainability, 19, 3, 2017: 971-985
· Chouhan, H. A., Parthasarathy, D., & Pattanaik, S. (2018). Urban at the Edges: Mumbai’s Coastline Urbanisms. In Jenia Mukherjee ed. Sustainable Urbanization in India (pp. 279-293). Springer, Singapore.
· Singh, N., Parthasarathy, D., & Narayanan, N. C. (2018). Contested Urban Waterscape of Udaipur. In Jenia Mukherjee ed. Sustainable Urbanization in India (pp. 295-317). Springer, Singapore
- Sharma, Sneha, and D. Parthasarathy. "Urban Ecologies in Transition: Contestations around Waste in Mumbai." In Jenia Mukherjee ed. Sustainable Urbanization in India, pp. 207-223. Springer, Singapore, 2018
· Chatterjee, Dwiparna, and D. Parthasarathy. "Gentrification and Rising Urban Aspirations in the Inner City: Redefining Urbanism in Mumbai." In Jenia Mukherjee ed. Sustainable Urbanization in India, pp. 239-255. Springer, Singapore, 2018.
- Hemant Kumar Chouhan, D.Parthasarathy, and S. Pattanaik, “Coastal Ecology and Fishing Community in Mumbai: CRZ Policy, Sustainability and Livelihoods”, Economic and Political Weekly, 51, 39, 2016: 48-57
· Smita Pendharkar and D.Parthasarathy, “Pandharpur's Wari: a discursive terrain for Maharashtra's productive castes”, Asian Journal of Social Science, 44,1-2, 2016, 132 – 164
- D.Parthasarathy, “Decentralization, Pluralization, Balkanization? Challenges for Disaster Mitigation and Governance in Mumbai”, Habitat International,52, 2016, 26-34
- Sherly M. A., Subhankar Karmakar, D. Parthasarathy, Terence Chan, Christian Rau, “Disaster-Vulnerability Mapping for a Densely Populated Coastal Urban Area - An Application to Mumbai, India”, Annals of the Association of American Geographers, 105, 6, 2015: 1198-1220
· D. Parthasarathy, “Informality, Resilience, and the Political Implications of Disaster Governance”, Special on ‘Governing Floods in Asia’s Urban Transition’, Pacific Affairs, 88, 3, 2015: 551-575
· Sheila Bonde, Clyde Briant, Paul Firenze, Julianne Hanavan, Amy Huang, Min Li, N. C. Narayanan, D. Parthasarathy, Hongqin Zhao, “Making Choices: Ethical Decisions in a Global Context”, Science and Engineering Ethics, Online First, 12 May 2015, DOI 10.1007/s11948-015-9641-5.
· D. Parthasarathy,“The Poverty of (Marxist) Theory: Peasant Classes, Provincial Capital, and the Critique of Globalization in India”, Journal of Social History, 48, 4, 2015
· Baghel, Deepmala, D. Parthasarathy, and M. Gupta. "Will you walk into my parlor? Spaces and practices of beauty in Mumbai," South Asian Popular Culture 12.3 (2014): 163-179
· "Rural, Urban, and Regional: Re-spatializing Capital and Politics in India", in Tim Bunnell, D.Parthasarathy, and Eric Thompson,Cleavage, Connection and Conflict: Rural, Urban and Contemporary, ARI-Springer Asia Series, Springer, 2013, 15-30
· Eric C Thompson, Tim Bunnell, and D. Parthasarathy, "Place, Society and Politics across Urban and Rural Asia" in Tim Bunnell, D.Parthasarathy, and Eric Thompson, Cleavage, Connection and Conflict: Rural, Urban and Contemporary, ARI-Springer Asia Series, Springer, 2013, 1-14
· "Risk, vulnerability and resilience: climate change and the urban poor in Asia", in "Human Security and Climate Change in Southeast Asia", eds., Lorraine Elliott, Mely Caballero-Anthony. Routledge Security in Asia Pacific Series, 2012
· "After Reservations: Caste, Institutional Isomorphism, and Affirmative Action in the IITs", in "Equalizing Access: Affirmative Action in Higher Education: India, US, and South Africa", eds., Zoya Hasan and Martha C. Nussbaum, Oxford University Press, Delhi, 2011
· "Hunters, Gatherers, and Foragers in a Metropolis: Commonizing the Private and Public in Mumbai", Economic and Political Weekly, 46, 50, December 2011
· "Migrant, Diaspora, NRI: Bhojpuri Cinema and the Global in the Local", in Anjali Gera Roy and Chua Beng Huat eds., Travels of Bollywood Cinema: From Bombay to LA, Oxford University Press, Delhi, 2011
· "A Village Without Moneylenders: SHGs Economic Change, and the Restructuring of Social Relations", in D.Parthasarathy, T.F.Thekkekara and Veena Poonacha eds., "Women's Self Help Groups: Restructuring Socio-Economic Development", Dominant Publishers, India, 2011
· "Planning and the Fate of Democracy: State, Capital, and Governance in Post-Independence India", in Vincent Kelly Pollard ed., "Wrestling with the Leviathan: State Capitalism, Contentious Politics and Large-Scale Social Change", Brill, Leiden, 2011
· Christoph Eberhard, D. Parthasarathy, and Shujie Feng), "Globalisation en Chine et en Inde", in Arnaud Andre-Jean ed. Dictionnaire de la Globalisation, Droit - Science politique, Paris, LGDJ, 538 p (246-251), 2010
· Binti Singh and D.Parthasarathy, "Civil Society Organisation Partnerships in Urban Governance: An Appraisal of the Mumbai Experience", Sociological Bulletin", Vo.59, No.1, Jan-April 2010
· Upasna Sharma, Anand Patwardhan, and D.Parthasarathy, "Assessing adaptive capacity to tropical cyclones in the East coast of India: A pilot study of public response to cyclone warning information", Climatic Change, 94, 2009, p.189-209
· Neetu Chowdhary and D. Parthasarathy, "Is Migration Status a Determinant of Urban Nutrition Insecurity? Empirical Evidence from Mumbai City in India",Journal of Biosocial Science, 41, 2009
· "Social and Environmental Insecurities in Mumbai: Towards a sociological perspective on vulnerability",South African Review of Sociology, 40, 1, 2009
· The Antinomies of Modernity and Sustainability? Developing an Indian Perspective on Governance and Responsibility, in Christoph Eberhard (dir.), Traduire nos responsabilites planetaires: Recomposer nos paysages juridiques, Bruxelles, Bruylant, Col. Bibliotheque de l'Academie, Europeenne de Theorie du Droit, 2009
· R. Shubha, Tanmay Bhattacharya, D. Parthasarathy, and Meenakshi Gupta, "Spirit possession in a healing centre: View from within",Psychological Studies, 53 (3 & 4), 2008, 219-225
· Neetu Chowdhary and D. Parthasarathy, "Gender, Work, and Household Food Security", Economic and Political Weekly, 42, 5, 2007
· "Land laws, minerals, and development: A case for legislative innovations", in Christoph Eberhard (ed.), "Law, Land use and the Environment: Afro-Indian Dialogues", IFP, Pondichery, 2007.
· Binti Kanta and D. Parthasarathy, "Slums, Rehabilitation and Government Policy: The case of the Slum Rehabilitation Programme in Mumbai",The ICFAI Journal of Urban Policy, Vol. 1, No. 1, pp. 35-50, April 2006.
· Taking Participation Seriously : A Critique of 'Good Governance', in Christoph Eberhard (Guest Edited), Droit, gouvernance et developpement durable,Cahier d'anthropologie du Droit, Paris, 2005.
· Rowena Robinson and D. Parthasarathy, "After Gujarat: Making Sense of Reports on the Post-Godhra Violence and its Aftermath", in Ram Puniyani ed.Religion, Power and Violence: Expression of Politics in Contemporary Times, Sage Publications, New Delhi, 2005.
· "Shifting Fields of Legitimacy: Globalization and Resistance in a Historical Perspective", Special Issue on Legal Pluralism in India, of theIndian Socio-legal Journal on Legal Pluralism, 31, (special), 2005.
Recent Conference presentations
1. D. Parthasarathy, “India’s Emerging Risk Urbanism: Cities, Commons, and Neo-liberal Transformation”, paper presented in Plenary 1 on “The Urban Transformation of India:, at the 43rd All India Sociological Congress, Lucknow University, 9-12 November 2017
2. D.Parthasarathy, “The Missing Link between Climate Change and Disaster Governance: A Critique of India’s Climate Action Plans and Missions”, paper presented at the Climate Disaster Governance Conference, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 21-22 Sep 2017
3. D. Parthasarathy, “Contours of India’s Coastal Urbanism: Loss of Imagination and Reimagining a Future “, paper presented at the conference on : Resilient Cities: for Human Flourishing: Governing the Asia-Pacific Urban Transition in the Anthropocene, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore , 2-3 March 2017
4. D.Parthasarathy, “Claims, Evidence, and Legal-Scientific Fictions: Contesting the Commons and Ecological Regimes in the Mumbai Region”, Session 4.5 Legal Pluralism and the Making of Truth in Conflicts over Natural Resources and the Environment, paper presented in the conference on “Thinking with Evidence, Seeking Certainty: Making Truth, organized by the Law and Social Sciences Research Network, New Delhi, 10-12 Dec 2016 (Also presented in the ICSSR sponsored National conference on “Environmental Governance in the Post-Liberalization Phase in India: Challenges for Sustainability and Social Justice”, Department of Humanities & Social Sciences IIT- Bombay, 23-24 Jan 2017
5. D. Parthasarathy, “Inequality, Uncertainty, and Vulnerability: Rethinking Governance from a Disaster Justice Perspective”, Keynote Address given at the conference on Disaster Justice in Anthropocene Asia and the Pacific, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, 17-18 November 2016
6. D.Parthasarathy, “Climate Change, Uncertainty and Flooding in Mumbai, India: The Role of Emergent Communities in Disaster Perception, Action and Policy-making, Session SS-12, Sense of Community : Issue and Problems for Effective Community Based Disaster Risk Management, paper presented at the 7th International Conference on Integrated Disaster Risk Management, Disasters and Development: Towards a Risk Aware Society, organized by International Earthquake Engineering Association (IEEA) and Integrated Disaster Risk Management Society (IDRiM), 1-3 October 2016,
7. D. Parthasarathy, “Beyond state and market in coastal cities: Land, Commons, Regulation and Environmental Imperatives”, paper presented at the Workshop on Land and Business: Challenges and Opportunities for India, Institute for South Asian Studies, National University of Singapore, 10-11 October 2016
8. Hans Nicolai Adam, D.Parthasarathy, Alankar, Synne Movik, Abhiram Sahrasabudhe, and Lyla Mehta “Climate Change, Uncertainty and Flooding: Politics and Perspectives in Mumbai”, paper presented at session on Impacts of droughts and floods in cities: policies and governance, World Water Week, Stockholm, 31 August, 2016
9. D. Parthasarathy, “Aspirations for Religion? Caste, Secularization and the Cacophony of Religious Performance in Mumbai”, paper presented at the UGC-SAP Seminar on Urban Development, Communalism and Secularism in Honour of Prof. Ratna Naidu, DEPARTMENT of SOCIOLOGY, University of Hyderabad, September 16, 2016
10. D.Parthasarathy, “Slum as Innovation: Informality, Transnationalism, and Urban Futures”, paper presented at the sixth annual International Development Conference, University of Waterloo, 26 February 2016
11. D.Parthasarathy, Hemant Kumar Chouhan and Sarmistha Pattanaik, “New Claims on the Coastal Commons: Contestation, Marginalization of Fishers and Fisher Spaces, and Environmental Degradation in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region”, paper presented at the Eighth INSEE Biennial Conference, 2016, Bengaluru, on “Urbanization and the Environment”
12. Hemant Kumar Chouhan, D.Parthasarathy, and Sarmistha Pattanaik, “Political Ecology of Natural Resource and Its Degradation, Power Relations, Marginalization of Small-Scale Fishing in Mumbai”, paper presented at the Eighth INSEE Biennial Conference, 2016, Bengaluru, on “Urbanization and the Environment”
13. D.Parthasarathy, Hemant Kumar Chouhan and Sarmistha Pattanaik, New Coastal Claims and Fisher Resistance in Mumbai, paper presented at the National Conference on “Reframing the Environment: Resources, Risk & Resistance in Neoliberal India”, University of Mumbai, 21-22 January, 2016
14. D.Parthasarathy, “Pluralization, Balkanization and Technologies of Governance: Disaster Management and Legal Pluralism in and beyond Mumbai”, paper presented at the Biennial International Conference of the Commission on Legal Pluralism, IIT Bombay, 14-16 December 2015
Head, Department of Humanities and Social Sciences, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay, 2014-17
Convener, Inter-disciplinary Program in Climate Studies, 2017-20
Associate Faculty: IDP in Climate Studies, Centre for Policy Studies, and Centre for Urban Science and Engineering
- India Lead Collaborator, “Transformation as Praxis: Exploring Socially Just andTransdisciplinary Pathways to Sustainability in Marginal Environments”, Belmont Forum and International Science Council, in collaboration with IDS, Sussex, Kyoto University, CARITAS Bangladesh, Norwegian University of Life Sciences (2018-21)
- India Collaborator, ¨Coastal Vulnerability and Fisher Wellbeing¨, EU-India EQUIP Project, in collaboration with Tromso University, University of Amsterdam, University of East Anglia, Migration Research Institute Slovenia, French Institute of Pondicherry, and Madras Istitute of Development Studies.
- India Lead Collaborator, “Contesting the Coastal Commons: The Changing Socio-legal position of Fishing populations in Tamil Nadu and Maharashtra”, ICSSR-NWO Bilateral Programme (INDIAN COUNCIL OF SOCIAL SCIENCE RESEARCH and Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research, 2016-18)
- Co-investigator, “Climate Change, Uncertainty, and Transformation”, sponsored by Norwegian Research Council, in collaboration with IDS, Sussex, and Norwegian University of Life Sciences (2015-17)
- Co-investigator, Fostering Block Level Development through Technology Transfer and Diffusion, Rajiv Gandhi Science and Technology Commission, Government of Maharashtra (2015-16)
- Co-investigator, “DHARAVI NUTRITION PROJECT”, Tata Centre for Technology and Design, Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (2014-15)
- Co-investigator, Integrated Impact Assessment Study of Mithi River and Vakola Nalla, Mithi River Development and Protection Authority, Government of Maharashtra, July 2013-March 2014
Co-investigator, Project on 'Solid Waste Management in Mumbai: An Alternative Paradigm', sponsored by CLEAN-Sweep Forum, Mumbai, 2011-12
"Ethical Awareness in International Collaborations: A Contextual Approach" (Curriculum development, teaching and research project), in association with Brown University and Zhejiang University, funded by National Science Foundation, USA (2009-12)
"Empowerment of Women in Maharashtra through Micro Finance Programmes", Maharashtra Women's Development Corporation, Government of Maharashtra (2006-08)
Co-investigator for "Baseline Socio-economic Survey for Mithi River Environmental Improvement Project", Mumbai Metropolitan Regional Development Authority (2005-06)
Co-investigator on BASIC Project (Building & Strengthening Institutional Capacity on Climate Change), project funded by European Union and coordinated by Institute of Development Studies, Sussex. (2005-06)
Co-investigator in Department of Science and Technology, Government of India sponsored project on "Integrated Technology Utilization Project for Rahata Block, Ahmednagar district, Maharashtra. (Phase 1: 2005-06, Phase 2: 2009-11)
"Exploratory Study on Artisanal and Small Scale Mining in Maharashtra", sponsored by Resource Management in Asia-Pacific Program, Australian National University, Canberra. (2005)
Co-investigator in NATCOM Project (National Communication to UNFCCC) project on "Climate Change Impacts in Coastal Zones". Project funded by UNDP through Ministry of Environment and Forests, Government of India (Phase 1: 2002-03 and Phase 2: 2008-10).
"Gender dimensions in technology adoption, and build up of social capital", International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics. (2003-04)
Co-investigator in Project on "Needs Assessment and Socio-economic feasibility of rural technologies" for Khadi and Village Industries Commission, Government Of India, (With Centre for Technology Alternatives for Rural Areas, IIT Bombay, 2003)
Consultant, "Development Pathways and Rural Livelihoods in the Asian Semi-Arid Tropics" in collaboration with the International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics (2001-02).
Consultant, "Technological Innovation in Agriculture and its Impact on Poverty in India and Chad", project sponsored by International Crops Research Institute for the Semi-arid Tropics and CGIAR (Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research), Washington, 1999-2000.
Awards and Recognition
India Value Fund Chair Professor, 2014-2020
ICCR Visiting Chair Professor in India Studies, South Asian Studies Program, National University of Singapore (August-December 2013).
Visiting Research Fellow, Zentrum Moderner Orient, Berlin (April-May 2013).
Visiting Senior Research Fellow, Asia Research Institute, National University of Singapore, Singapore (July 15 2008 to July 14 2009).
Visiting Scientist / Consultant at the International Crops Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics, 1997 - 2001.
Visiting Fellow at Resource Management in Asia Pacific Program, Australian National University, Canberra, May-July 2003.
Panos Media Fellowship on "ICTs-Enabled Communication Strategies for Social Change", by Panos Institute, London, 2003.
Research Medal (Citation and a cash award) for a co-authored paper titled "Building Social Capital: Collective Action, Adoption of Agricultural Innovations, and Poverty Reduction in the Indian Semi-Arid Tropics", at the 2nd Global Development Network Conference, Tokyo, 11-13, December 2000.
University Grants Commission Junior and Senior Research Fellowship, 1992-95.
University Merit Scholarship - August 1989 to July 1990, University of Hyderabad.
University Gold Medal, Master of Arts Programme (Sociology), University Of Hyderabad, 1989.
Board, Commission on Legal Pluralism, International Union of Ethnological and Anthropological Sciences (from August 2013)
Convenor, Research Committee 03 on "Economy, Polity, and Society, Indian Sociological Society, (2006-09)
Editorial Board, South Asia Research
Editorial Board, Environment and Planning
Advisory Board, International Beliefs and Values Institute, James Madison University, USA (2006-07)
Board of Trustees, Samarth Charitable Educational Trust, Guwahati, India (2006-10)
Board of Studies, Social Work Department, Amrita University (2008-10)
Task Force on Microfinance in Maharashtra, Government of Maharashtra (2008-09)
Associate Editor, ARI-Springer Asia Series (Cities)
International Advisory Board, Aceh International Journal of Social Sciences
Advisor, Editorial Board, Development Review (2011-)
Member, Scientific Committee, FICCI-UNEP Indian Life Cycle Assessment and Management Conference (2012)
Expert Reviewer for IPCC Reports, Inter-governmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
Expert Reviewer for Austrian Climate Research Program (ACRP)